Selecting the ideal motorcycle is similar to choosing the perfect motorcycle insurance plan. You want it to meet your demands and match your way of life while aligning with your means.
Motorcycle insurance was created to safeguard both you and your vehicle. When it comes to motorcycle insurance, you want more than just low pricing; you want to be sure your motorcycle is covered.
Types of Motorcycle Insurance
- Liability coverage: Property damage and bodily harm you might cause to other people involved in an accident.
- Bodily injury liability coverage: Hospital- or treatment-related bills and income loss caused by the injury or death of another person involved when you are at fault. This liability also applies to passengers on your motorcycle.
- Passenger liability: offers protection if a passenger sustains injuries while riding your motorcycle during a collision or other factors.
- Comprehensive coverage: Damages caused by events like fire or vandalism. Your insurance company will pay for the motorcycle’s repair according to its market value.
- Road assistance: It implies towing and related labor costs.
- Collision insurance: Inflicted damage in case your motorcycle collides with another vehicle.
- Customized motorcycle parts coverage: It includes modified motorcycle parts — for example, a custom paint job, rims, side mirrors, etc.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: This covers your medical expenses and property damage if the at-fault party’s coverage isn’t enough.
When Is Motorcycle Insurance Not Provided?
- Injuries and damage sustained while being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Self-inflicted injuries
- Injuries while committing or attempting to commit a crime
- If you intentionally or recklessly put yourself in danger
Why Is Motorcycle Insurance Important?
Motorcycles face a high probability of collisions compared to other motor vehicles because the driver sits on top of the car rather than safe space clad with airbags and a boundary. Likewise, not all motorcycle riders wear the recommended padding, which adds to the danger.
Incidents can get even more complicated if they involve another rider on the back. In this case, damage and injuries are usually worse than that in a car accident.
But then again, since motorcycle insurance is explicitly tailored to motorcyclers’ risks and needs, most risks can be mitigated.
Factors Influencing Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Driver’s age
- Driving history
- The make and model of the vehicle
- The age of the motorcycle
- Annual mileage
- Parking and storage space
- Parking and storing conditions
Motorcycle Insurance Deductibles
A deductible is how much you must pay out of pocket before your insurance plan kicks in.
- Assume you damage your bike in a covered accident, and it costs $7,000 to repair. If you have set your deductible at $6000, you will have to pay $6000 out of pocket before your insurance covers the rest.
As a rule, the lower the deductible, the higher the insurance premium, and vice versa.
How To Get Affordable Motorcycle Insurance
Maintaining a clean driving record and having no or few claims will help you save on your insurance premium. Likewise, you can avail of discounts, such as, for example, multi-bike, multi-policy, or mature rider discounts.
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Limits
Every coverage in your policy has a fixed upper limit to which you can be covered.
- Assume you cause an accident on your motorcycle, and another person is injured. If your coverage limit is $3000 and your medical bill is $5000, you will have to pay $2000 out of pocket. But then again, choosing a comfortable coverage limit is up to you.
Types of Motorcycles Covered
- Motor scooters: Smaller engines power lightweight bikes
- Custom motorcycles: Unique motorcycles designed by enthusiasts
- Touring bikes: Motorcycles designed for touring or traveling
- Cruisers: Motorcycles with a V-twin engine with complete visibility
- Sport bikes: Motorcycles designed for races
- Classic motorcycles: Motorcycles that are 25 years old or more
Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
Motorcycle insurance rates differ depending on the state, type of coverage, insured’s age, deductible, and history of claims.
These free motorcycle insurance quotes can help you decide on your motorcycle insurance plan:
- Liability insurance: $141 annually
- Sport bikes full coverage: $3,924 annually
- Full coverage: $364 annually
- 18-year-old full coverage: $1,064 annually
Motorcycle Insurance Quotes Compared
The cost of motorcycle insurance varies from company to company. Obtaining multiple motorcycle insurance quotes is one of the quickest and easiest ways to ensure you have the best insurance rates.
Liability, per year
Full Coverage, per year
Average Motorcycle Insurance Quote By Age
- 16-Year-Old: $1,146
- 18-Year-Old: $1,124
- 21-Year-Old: $907
- 40-Year-Old: $364
Why Do Sports Bikes Have High Insurance Rates?
- Speed: Sport bikes are faster than standard motorcycles and are popular with younger riders, resulting in more accidents and higher repair costs.
- Costs of repair: Repairing sports bikes is more expensive, so comprehensive or collision claims for sports bikes are costlier and require extra coverage.
- Theft: Expensive motorcycles are more likely to be stolen, leading to higher insurance rates.
- Accidents: people who ride sports bikes are more likely to engage in risky behavior on the road and, as a result, to be involved in an accident.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is motorcycle insurance?
The premium will vary depending on the vehicle’s e make/model/age, driving history, state, and more factors.
The average liability-only insurance policy costs approximately $141 per year, while the average full-coverage policy costs around $364 per year. However, the cost of motorcycle insurance in your specific situation may vary significantly.
Which company has cheap motorcycle insurance quotes?
Progressive offers the most affordable motorcycle insurance, starting at $266 for full coverage.
Does motorcycle insurance cover theft or vandalism damage?
Motorcycle insurance that includes comprehensive coverage will pay for theft and vandalism.
Oleksandr Rohovnin is a Content Marketer at Phonexa.com and an expert contributor to American REIA. His passion is digital marketing, innovative technologies, tech industries, and – above all – distilling vast amounts of complex information into engrossing narratives anyone can relate to. At American REIA, Oleksandr stokes passion for auto insurance and the automotive industry in general in every story he curates.