The Hartford Insurance 2023: Review and Facts
Ranked 142nd on the Fortune 500 list of the largest U.S. corporations by total annual revenue, The Hartford is an insurance and investment company headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut. The 13th biggest property and casualty insurer in the United States sells products through an extensive network of agents and brokers, mainly to AARP members.
- The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) is the national organization that improves people’s quality of life as they age. Catering to people aged 50 and older, AARP enables cheaper insurance, including healthcare and auto.
The Hartford History
Founded in 1810 by a group of local merchants as a fire insurance company, The Hartford is one of the oldest and most reputable insurance providers in the United States.
- In 1835 and 1871, the insurance company stood by its customers after large fires in the New York City Financial District and Chicago.
- In 1861, they protected Abraham Lincoln’s home in Illinois as the president moved to Washington, D.C. to serve his first term in office.
- In 1913, the insurance provider formed their Accident and Indemnity Company to launch auto and home insurance services.
- In 1984, they became AARP members’ exclusive home and auto insurance provider.
- In 2001, the insurance company paid over $850 million in claims after the 9/11 terror attacks.
What Does The Hartford Offer for the U.S. Market?
The major insurance verticals are:
- Auto Insurance: Car, Commercial Auto, Classic Car, RV, ATV, Boat, Gold Cart, and Snowmobile Insurance.
- Home Insurance: Homeowners, Renters, Condo, Flood, and Umbrella Insurance.
- Business Insurance: Business Owner’s Policy, General Liability, Workers’ Compensation, Business Income, Commercial Flood, Commercial Property, Commercial Umbrella, Cyber, Employment Practices Liability, Home-Based Business, Management Liability, Marine, Multinational, and Professional Liability Insurance.
The Hartford Car Insurance 2023
The most important thing to know about The Hartford’s car insurance – like many other policies from the provider – is that it’s provided exclusively to AARP members. As an AARP member, you can get a fairly cheap auto insurance policy, possibly at a discounted price.
While you can customize your car insurance policy with The Hartford, here are your main options:
- Bodily injury liability.
- Property damage liability
- Collision insurance
- Comprehensive insurance
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
To understand the mentioned coverages better, scroll below to the “Commercial Auto Insurance” table. Meanwhile, it’s worth paying attention to a huge variety of additional auto insurance provided by The Hartford.
The Hartford Additional Auto Insurance 2023
|Accident Forgiveness||If all drivers on your car have a clean driving record for straight five years, you can qualify for accident forgiveness.|
|Disappearing Deductible||Reduces your deductible by up to $500 if you have a clear driving record|
|24/7 Roadside Assistance||Round-the-clock protection from roadside emergencies like a dead battery, flat tire, or losing keys|
|New Car Replacement||Replaces a new totaled car with a car of the same make and model|
|RecoverCar||Post-accident assistance like transportation services, house cleaning, snow removal, etc.|
|Lifetime Car Repair Assurance||Guarantees the quality of repair in one of the 1,600+ repair shops from the approved repair network|
|Full Glass Coverage||Mirrors, windows, and headlights, all with no deductible|
|Car Towing Coverage||Towing and labor expenses if, for example, your car’s battery dies|
|Personal Umbrella Insurance||The loss that exceeds your auto or homeowners liability coverage limits|
|Gap Insurance||The difference between your car’s cash value and the amount you owe on your car loan if your car was totaled or stolen|
|Rental Car Reimbursement Coverage, also known as Transportation Expense Coverage||Rental car expenses while your car is being repaired after an accident|
|Rental Car Insurance: Collision Damage Waiver or Loss Damage Waiver||The damage to your rented car, or if someone broke into your rented car|
The Hartford Commercial Auto Insurance 2023
Unlike regular auto insurance, commercial auto insurance helps cover the costs of an accident that involves the following types of business cars: cars, vans, service utility trucks, box trucks, and pickup trucks.
|Bodily Injury Liability||If you hurt someone in an accident|
|Property Damage Liability||If you damaged someone else’s property – other cars, mailboxes, fences, etc. – in an accident|
|Collision Coverage||If you damaged your car in an accident with another vehicle or object|
|Comprehensive Coverage||If your car sustained damage from a natural disaster, vandalism, collision with an animal, or was stolen|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage||If you were hit by a driver who doesn’t have enough auto insurance to cover your injuries and damages|
|Rental Car Coverage||Liability coverage that protects employees driving a rental business vehicle|
|Medical Payments Coverage||Your medical expenses and rehabilitation: doctor’s visits, rehabilitation, medical treatment, medical procedures, surgeries, medical deductibles & co-pays, hospitalization, nursing services, prosthetic limbs, ambulance fees, dental care, and funeral costs|
|Personal Injury Protection (PIP)||Your and other peoples’ injuries – medical expenses, work loss, funeral expenses, survivor’s loss, and essential services – from a car accident, regardless of who was at fault|
Other Car Insurance Coverages You May Need
Besides major auto insurance coverages like regular car insurance and commercial car insurance, you may need a less common policy like ATV, snowmobile, golf cart insurance, or else. Here are the links to the respective sections on the provider’s website:
- Classic car insurance
- RV insurance
- ATV insurance
- Boat insurance
- Gold cart insurance
- Snowmobile insurance
The Hartford Auto Insurance Rates 2023
The cost of your car insurance will depend on the type of car, the type and amount of coverage, the deductible amount, your driving record, the average number of miles you drive per year, your state, and discounts.
Catering exclusively to AARP members, The Hartford provides multiple car insurance discounts and perks, including savings of up to 10% of your car insurance premium. Below are the major auto insurance discounts for drivers who hold a membership with AAPR. For more information, visit this webpage.
|Discount Type||How to Qualify|
|AARP Auto Insurance Program: up 10%||Be a member of AARP, have a valid driver’s license from your state, and vehicle registration for your car|
|Bundle Insurance Savings: up to 5% on your auto insurance and up to 20% on your home insurance||Bundle your car and home, renters and auto, or condo and auto policies within the AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program|
|Paid-in-Full: varies||Pay your bill in full in advance|
|Safe Driving Discount: up to 12% and a renewal discount of up to 25%||Drive safely for a determined period of time|
|Safety Features Discount: varies||Install anti-lock brakes, additional airbags, and other safety features on your car|
|Fuel Type Discount: varies||Have an electric or hybrid car|
|Safe Driver Training Discount: varies||Be 21 years of age or younger (25 or younger in Georgia) and finish an approved training course|
|Three-Year Defensive Driver Course: varies||Complete an approved defensive driving course|
The Hartford Home Insurance 2023
|Renters||Protection of your personal belongings from fire, smoke, vandalism, theft, and burglary on a rented property:
|Flood||Damage caused by flooding as a result of snowmelts, rainfalls, broken drainage systems, construction run-offs, etc.|
|Umbrella||Additional liability coverage and extended auto and homeowners insurance limits:
The Hartford Home Insurance Rates 2023
The price of your homeowners insurance will depend on multiple factors, such as your home’s replacement cost, age, state, history of claims, whether you are a dog owner, and more. For example, in 2022, the average annual cost of homeowners insurance in the United States was $1,802.
|Discount Type||How to Qualify|
|Bundle Home and Auto Insurance: up to 5% on your auto insurance and up to 20% on your home, renters, or condo insurance||Bundle your car and home, renters and auto, or condo and auto policies within the AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program|
|Home Security and Safety Device Savings: varies||Install a burglar alarm and a sprinkler system on your home|
|Retiree Credit for Retired AARP Homeowners: varies||Retire or work less than 24 hours a week|
|Renewal Credit: varies||Renew your homeowners policy with The Hartford for 4 consecutive years|
The Hartford Business Insurance 2023
|Business Owner’s Policy||Business property plus business liability insurance: damage to your business from theft, fire, as well as claims of property damage and bodily injury|
|General Liability||Claims of property damage, bodily injury, reputational harm, and advertising injuries, as well as physical damage to your rented premises|
|Workers’ Compensation||Benefits for your employees if they become ill or injured on the job: medical care, medical treatment, disability benefits, death benefits, and replacement of lost wages|
|Business Income||Replaces lost income if your business cannot operate due to property damage. The policy covers employees’ payroll, rent payments, mortgage, loss of income during the restoration period, tax payments, and loan payments.|
|Commercial Auto||Medical expenses and property damage resulted from an accident involving a company-owned car:
Learn more on this webpage
|Commercial Flood||Damage to your business property and contents, caused by floodwater:
|Business Property||Damage to your owned or rented property caused by fire, lightning, and theft, as well as interruption coverage, which protects your income if your business cannot operate due to property damage|
|Commercial Umbrella||Extra liability coverage: legal costs, property damage, medical bills (bodily injuries), and judgments and settlements|
|Data Breach||Damage caused by viruses, data breaches, losses of PHI or PII, etc.|
|Employment Practices Liability||Harassment, discrimination, and wrongful termination by vendors, customers, and business invitees|
|Home-Based Business Insurance||
|Management Liability||Protection of officers and directors from lawsuits:
|Marine||Ocean Marine, Builder Risk, Warehouse & Logistics, Equipment Rental & Sales, Renewable Energy, Carrier Logistic Choice, Contractors Equipment, Installation, and Inland Marine Insurance. More on this webpage.|
|Multinational||Localized coverage: General Liability, Professional Liability, Commercial Auto, Business Interruption and Income, Cybersecurity and Data Breaches, Workers’ Compensation, Business Travel, Kidnap and Ransom/Extortion, Commercial Umbrella, Business Travel Accident, and Environmental Insurance. More on this webpage.|
|Professional Liability||Mistakes in your professional services to clients: inaccurate service, misrepresentation, negligence, slander, libel, etc.|
Likewise, The Hartford provides several unique opportunities for AAPR members:
- Risk engineering. The Hartford’s team of insurance and niche experts can evaluate your risk exposures, prepare you to mitigate and overcome certain risks and loss events, and train your workforce. Here’s a full risk engineering review.
- Surety bonds. The 6th largest sure writer in the United States, the Hartford enables commercial and construction surety bonds, which guarantee that your business will fulfill its financial obligations.
- The Hartford Productivity Advantage (THPA). THPA is a service that improves the claim process for employees and employers through the automatic creation of leaves, auto-creation of STD and LTD, and more.
The Hartford Business Insurance Rates 2023
Here are the average monthly/annual premiums for the most popular business insurance coverages with The Hartford:
- Business Owner’s Policy – $261.25/$3,135
- General Liability Insurance – $88.09/$1,057
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance – $70/$840
The Hartford Life Insurance 2023
The Hartford offers group life insurance comprising the following features:
- Enhanced Continuity of Coverage Clause
- Living Benefit Option
- No Interruption in Premium Waiver Elimination Period
- Portability Option and Conversion
Likewise, the insurer provides accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance that covers families and employees from unforeseen accidents and can be customized for the needs of a particular insurance seeker.
Learn more on this webpage.
The Hartford Health Insurance 2023
|Fee for Service: the most extensive network of doctors and hospitals||
Learn more on this webpage.
|High-Deductible Health Plans||Full coverage for preventative care: counseling, child well-being exams, wellness visits, vaccines, and annual physicals|
Likewise, you can outsource the selection and management of your health insurance plan to professionals. More on this webpage.
The Hartford Pet Insurance 2023
The Hartford Insurance Ratings 2023: Moody’s, J.D. Power, Standard & Poor’s, and BBB Reviews
|J.D. Power||3 out of 5|
|Standard & Poor’s||A+|
Customer Service Review
The Hartford has good to perfect customer service ratings.
- All claims ratings: 4.8 out of 5 based on 84,930 reviews
- Auto & home insurance ratings: 4.8 based on 50,206 reviews
- Home insurance ratings: 4.7 based on 19,024 reviews
- Business insurance ratings: 4.8 based on 6,153 reviews
- Commercial auto insurance ratings: 4.6 based on 1,347 reviews
- Commercial property insurance ratings: 4.8 based on 6,075 reviews
- General liability insurance ratings: 4.8 based on 1,187 reviews
Working at The Hartford
With over 350 vacancies at the time of writing, The Hartford is always on the lookout for new talents:
- Tech & Data: Data Scientist, Software Engineer, Data Engineer, Scrum Master, Architect, and Software Engineer in Test
- Customer Service & Operations: Customer Service Rep, Customer Service Relationship Specialist, Premium Auditor, Operations Manager, and Account Manager
- Claims: Customer Care Representative, Claims Professional, Nurse Customer Care, Nurse Case Manager, Claims Team Leader, and Claims Technician
- Sales: Sales Consultant, Sales Manager, Inbound Sales Agent, Sales Support, and Regional Relationship Manager
- Underwriting: Underwriting Consultant, Underwriting Team Lead, Executive Underwriter, Senior Underwriter, and Underwriter Trainee
- Product: Product Manager and Pricing Analyst
- Marketing & Communications: Marketing & Advertising Lead, Communications Lead, Designer, Copywriter, Public Relations Lead, and User Experience Designer
- Human Resources: Recruiter, HR Business Partner, HR Analyst Consultant, Compensation Consultant, Employee Relation Consultant, and Benefits Program Manager
- Actuary & Advances Analytics: Actuarial Student, Experienced Actuaries, Business Intelligence Consultant, Data Analyst, Data Scientist, and Asset Owner
- Finance: Financial Consultant, Risk Management Consultant, Reinsurance Account, Senior Accounting Analyst, Investment Portfolio Manager, Financial Analyst, and Internal Auditor
- Law: Legal Assistant, Paralegal, Litigation Attorney, Compliance Specialist, General Counsel, and Government Affairs Consultant
The Hartford runs several development and leadership programs for students and workers of all levels of experience.
Pros and Cons of The Hartford Insurance
|Lots of options for business insurance||Primarily caters to AARP members of 50 years of age and older|
|Perks for AARP members||No bonuses for some types of insurance|
|High satisfaction rating for auto insurance||Average overall satisfaction rating|
How to Become a Partner?
To become an insurance agent with The Hartford,
- Click on the ‘Let’s Work Together’ button on this webpage
- Fill out this document and return it to [email protected]
How to File a Complaint?
To file a claim with The Hartford,
- Proceed to the claims webpage
- Choose the type of claim: personal auto, home & renters, employee benefits, workers’ compensation, commercial auto, commercial property, or general liability
- Follow the on-page instructions
The full list of contacts is on this webpage.